Posted by Sillychicken On August - 22 - 2011 25 Comments

Aircrack would not play nice on Ubuntu with a Intel Wireless iwl3945 wifi adapter

It would always say “mon0 is on channel -1, but the AP uses channel x”

Solution:

You need to patch the compact-wireless package and rebuild

Copy and paste the below commands into a terminal

Install your kernel headers if you don’t already have them, if you do skip the first command

Code:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
wget http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-3-stable/v3.6/compat-wireless-3.6.2-1.tar.bz2
tar -jxf compat-wireless-3.6.2-1.tar.bz2
cd compat-wireless-3.6.2-1
wget http://patches.aircrack-ng.org/channel-negative-one-maxim.patch
sudo apt-get install patch
patch ./net/wireless/chan.c channel-negative-one-maxim.patch
make
sudo make install
sudo make unload
sudo reboot

25 Responses so far.

1. ousmane mbow says:

thanx much

2. yoyoma says:

how do you do apply this patch for a package such as firmware-b43-installer??

3. bigme says:

thanks a bunch!

4. Dimon says:

I had the same problem with ath5k driver for Atheros card which supposed to replace mad-wifi. I fixed it by rolling back to old good mad-wifi and deleting ath5k .
    ath5k sucks totally and with mad-wifi I get much better range

5. mhk says:

after this command (sudo apt-get install patch
    ) i give this error :

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.39.4 (i686)
    Consult the make.log in the build directory
    /var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.60.48.36+bdcom/build/ for more information.
    dpkg: error processing bcmwl-kernel-source (–configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 10
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    bcmwl-kernel-source
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

6. Sebastian says:

So I am a total been when it comes to Linux.. But I am using a burned to disc 12.04 for aircrack as backtrack on VMware didn’t work with my adapter, or burn to disk correctly. So now I am using my atheros card within my laptop regularly. All works well besides the mon0 error. I tried ALL of the patch fixes but whenever I try to ‘make’ or ‘sudo make install’ on the compat-wireless updated versions, I get multiple ‘make’ errors.. Is it because aircrack-ng is read only? Please help.. Note that all patches (maxim and the like) will not successfully install..

7. Sebastian says:

It gives me make errors when I try to finish the maxim patch install.. Why?

8. Gillian says:

Same, i get errors when I “make” :
    got any idea ?

include/linux/netdevice.h:1150:5: warning: “IS_ENABLED” is not defined [-Wundef]
    include/linux/netdevice.h:1150:15: error: missing binary operator before token “(”
    include/linux/netdevice.h: In function ‘netdev_uses_dsa_tags’:
    include/linux/netdevice.h:1418:9: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘dsa_ptr’
    include/linux/netdevice.h:1419:31: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘dsa_ptr’
    include/linux/netdevice.h: In function ‘netdev_uses_trailer_tags’:
    include/linux/netdevice.h:1428:9: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘dsa_ptr’
    include/linux/netdevice.h:1429:35: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘dsa_ptr’
    make[3]: *** [/home/gillian/compat-wireless-3.0-2/compat/main.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [/home/gillian/compat-wireless-3.0-2/compat] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/gillian/compat-wireless-3.0-2] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-32-generic’
    make: *** [modules] Error 2

9. psyren says:

is that hunks a dangerous problem or it’s very necessary??

• Glenn Gawron says:

I would like to know as well. Doesn’t look like the author is going to answer any more questions though so we’re on our own! I’m going to try it and see how it goes with fingers crossed!

• Glenn Gawron says:

Follow up, did not fix channel -1 issue. However, my Intel 3945 card is not a problem if using BackTrack Linux according to one forum poster. Will boot from USB flash drive and see how things go.

• Sillychicken says:

I am always watching ;) can be difficult to render support for specific people. Backtrack will greatly help resolve potential issues as they have already solve common problems.
        Thanks

• n1t3 says:

Hey there, I’m sorry but i am still haveing this problem here:

make[4]: *** [/home/live/compat-drivers-3.7.1-3/compat-drivers-3.7.1-3/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.o] Error 1
          make[3]: *** [/home/live/compat-drivers-3.7.1-3/compat-drivers-3.7.1-3/drivers/gpu/drm/i915] Error 2
          make[2]: *** [/home/live/compat-drivers-3.7.1-3/compat-drivers-3.7.1-3/drivers/gpu/drm] Error 2
          make[1]: *** [_module_/home/live/compat-drivers-3.7.1-3/compat-drivers-3.7.1-3] Error 2
          make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.9.9-1-ARCH’
          make: *** [modules] Error 2

Even with all installed (Kernel Headers, The Right driver selected, etc. What could really be the problem here ?

Greetings

10. psyren says:

hey i have made all the operations even if hunks errors and now my wlan1 channel keeps on changing everytime… is it ok??and if it isn’t what can i do??? answer please

11. Tam says:

I have a huge problem…. I had backtrack 5 installed as a partition a side to windows xp… after copy pasting the command from above…. my windows doesn’t detect wi-fi any more… wi-fi works perfectly with ubuntu but there is no wi-fi on my windows any more…. i thought a HDD format would fix the problem so i formated everything, removed ubuntu completely from my HDD and installed new windows 7….. but my windows still doesn’t connect to wi-fi…. I need help cause I’m stuck and clueless …. thank you a head

• Sillychicken says:

Interesting, what does rfkill list all show?

Try disable in Ubuntu and reboot into windows, also check your hardware settings in bios, reset to defaults. I have seen the bios setting no longer reflect the correct state

12. akrit says:

sir pls help me iam also getting same error

sudo aireplay-ng –fakeauth 0 -a 81:A1:D5:BA:F5:80 -e suman mon0
    No source MAC (-h) specified. Using the device MAC (88:53:2E:0A:7C:FB)
    22:47:53 Waiting for beacon frame (BSSID: 81:A1:D5:BA:F5:80) on channel -1